Happy Mother’s Day! How many moms out there would love to celebrate Mother’s Day with a few uninterrupted minutes and a good book?
Guest posting today, Susan Chamberlain Shipe writes about the influence of one of her favorite books. Susan shares quotes from the life-changing classic My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. Enjoy!
A Look at a Life Changing Book:
My Utmost for His Highest
by Oswald Chambers
By Susan Chamberlain Shipe
In 1937, Chaplain to the United States Senate, Richard C. Halverson, was given a copy of My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers; a new believer, Mr. Halverson began reading My Utmost for His Highest every single day.
“No book except the Bible has influenced my walk with Christ at such deep and maturing levels. Nor has any influenced my preaching and teaching so much.
“The book’s strength lies in its stubborn insistence on the objective reality of redemption as the only secure foundation. Today, subjective experience is often accepted as the criterion for authentic faith. In Chambers, I am constantly being reminded that the ground of faith and experience is the person of Jesus Christ.
“Chambers makes the point that Christian faith is rooted in events. The historicity of the gospel is its validation. Propositional truth is important, but the basis of faith is always Jesus Christ Himself.
“Through the years Chambers has kept me on course by bringing me back to Jesus. Believing Jesus, not just believing my beliefs about Jesus, is basic.” Richard C. Halverson, Chaplain U.S. Senate
In 1992, wife of one, mother of three, Susan Chamberlain Shipe rededicated her life to her Lord and Savior, and was given a copy of My Utmost for His Highest.
Every day for more than 20 years, I read this devotional, and I am here to say – there is not another devotional available that will take a disciple of Jesus Christ deeper into the truths of God’s Word.
Today, I want to share some of my favorite Oswald Chambers’ quotes.
“When God brings the blank space, see that you do not fill it in, but wait.”
“Whenever there is doubt — don’t.”
“We receive His blessings and know His Word, but do we know HIM?”
“God never gives us anything accidental. There is nothing easier than getting in a right relationship with God except when it is not God Whom you want but only what He gives.”
So many good things to read are available to us, but I encourage you to give Oswald Chambers classic book a chance! I truly believe you won’t ever be the same!
Susan Chamberlain Shipe has been a writer since the age of eight when she and her neighborhood friend wrote, edited, published, and distributed The Manor News. Things have changed since publishing with the five and dime stamp lettering set! Today, Susan enjoys blogging, writing short devotions, and short stories from her empty-nest home in the Appalachian Mountain Range of the Blue Ridge Mountains in northwestern North Carolina, which she shares with her husband of thirty years, Lowell, and their beloved dog, Sam. Susan can be found musing several times a week on her blog: hopehearthome.com. You can also follow her on Facebook and Twitter.
Now on to our weekly Literacy Musing Monday’s linkup. First let’s
Now let’s celebrate reading and learning by reviewing:
Last Week’s Top Clicked Post!
My Favorite Post of the Week:
(YWAM Publishing Review)
By Kelly at Raising Samuels
Janet and Geoff Benge’s Christian Heroes series is one of my newest favorites! I have so enjoyed reading these inspiring stories of Christianity lived out with my children! I appreciated the other YWAM resources Kelly introduced through this review. Check it out!
Want to be the next to be featured! Just link up a post and if you are read the most, we will feature you. Also please make sure you link back to us so others will know about our link up and join in. We try to make it worth your while to linkup with us by promoting your posts across our social media networks. We also pin our most clicked and featured posts to our Pinterest Board each week!
- Include a link back or the blog hop button linked to this hop on your posts.
- Link up the urls to your posts not to your blog.
- Please remember this is a family-friendly linkup. Although we believe in the right for adults to read whatever they want to read, we prefer to read wholesome posts that feature literature that edify and uplift families. We reserve the right to delete any posts that are not family friendly. We love all kinds of literature and genres including family-friendly inspirational romances, fantasy, or science fiction. We do not welcome posts featuring books or written with excessive violence, sexual content, or cursing. These posts will be deleted.
- We also want to be loving community by supporting one another. Please make a point to do this this week! Visit the two posts before yours and at least one other blogger’s post of your choice! I want to see lots of clicks on everyone’s posts. I know as a blogger, you know how it feels not receive comments, right. 🙂 Plus, you could be honored as our Top Commentor if you submit your report to Mary! Remember it is also nice to follow them on their social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow your hosts and co-hosts on their social media.
- Tweet about the link up too.
[tweetthis]Come join the fun! Link up your family-friendly, book- or literacy-related posts at #LMMLinkup ![/tweetthis]
Let’s Celebrate Reading and Learning together this week at Literacy Musing Mondays!
Happy Mother’s Day!!!!
Never miss a linkup! Subscribe to Forever Joyful using the tool in the upper right sidebar. It’s easy!